A honeymoon provides a welcome retreat for couples after months upon months of budgeting, planning and ironing out the details of their weddings. On their honeymoons, couples get the chance to escape the pressures of everyday life and simply enjoy being alone with each other in special locations.
Honeymoon vacations can be expensive, and many couples want to ensure they get the best value for their trips. A honeymoon that is overshadowed by inclement weather can make this once-in-a-lifetime trip memorable for all the wrong reasons. While not every hiccup can be avoided, couples can plan their honeymoons for those times of year when specific locales experience their best weather.
- Jamaica: Couples tying the knot in the earlier part of the year may want to honeymoon in Jamaica. With average temperatures in the 80s year-round, Jamaica makes for a great honeymoon destination. January through April see less rain than other times of the year, and keep in mind June through the end of December is hurricane season.
- Australia: People opting to get married in the winter in the Northern Hemisphere might want to escape the cooler temperatures and shorter days with a honeymoon south of the equator. Australia and New Zealand are beautiful spots to visit and enjoy summer when those in the Northern Hemisphere are mired in winter.
- France: Paris and other French cities can be enchanting to visit any time of the year, but locals advise honeymooners visit in September when the climate is quite comfortable and tourism is minimal. Spring is another great time to visit France, especially for those people who want to spend plenty of time outdoors.
- Mexico: Areas of Mexico, such as popular Cancún and Cozumel, tend to stay warm all year long, but they can be particularly hot in the summer. Spring brides and grooms may want to venture there before the summer season is in full swing. Couples might want to avoid vacationing in certain areas in March, as students visiting for spring break may compromise the romantic atmosphere honeymooners are hoping for.
- Hawaii: Spring and summer can be ideal times to visit the islands of Hawaii, as the weather can be beautiful and travel tends to be less expensive during these times of year. Rains increase as autumn sets in, and Hawaii often sees the bulk of its vacationers during the winter, meaning higher costs and bigger crowds.
- Italy: April through June and September through October are some of the best times to visit Italy. Be aware that Venice tends to be misty and damp during the late fall and early spring. Italy, especially southern Italy and Sicily, can get quite hot during the peak summer months.
Weather and tourism should be considered as newlyweds choose where to go on their honeymoons.